Owner Frequently Asked Questions
Info You Need
While the reasons our clients choose professional management vary, there are six primary reasons
most choose Fisher Properties Group over self-management:
1. High occupancy rates - in the 16 years we've been providing professional property management services, we've maintained 94% occupancy of the properties we manage. As Tampa Bay area residents for the past 26 years and as members of the Century 21 family, we know the local market well, enjoy an extensive network of contacts, and have access to excellent advertising resources to efficiently market available properties to prospective tenants.
2. Quality tenants - a key indicator of effective property management is the tenure of good tenants who pay on time and respect the homes they occupy. To acquire such tenants, we have developed a highly effective process to attract and rapidly qualify excellent candidates. We seek for our clients the same caliber of people we ourselves would want as good neighbors.
3. Quick payment each month - we understand the importance of providing accurate reporting and prompt payment to our owners who have entrusted us with the care and management of their properties. We enforce timely collection of rents and serve the proper notices upon failure to pay.
4. Detailed accounting - our owners appreciate the monthly statements we provide which detail income and expenses. We understand and apply the correct federal, state, and local laws, keeping our owners' investments safe.
5. Property updates - absentee owners (especially those who reside out of state) are comforted by our updates about their properties. This is especially welcome after major weather events which often attract national attention and consternation. We understand that accurate first-hand reports are essential to keeping our owners informed about the physical condition of their investments.
6. Assurance that repairs are necessary - we quickly and competently assess the need for and manage maintenance and emergency repairs. We have developed a strong network of trusted maintenance and repair professionals who respond rapidly, perform honestly, and provide accurate reporting and billing. We routinely follow up with tenants to ensure repairs are complete and we provide owners the details regarding what was done and costs involved.
We've learned how important it is to eliminate problems up-front especially problems that can be time-consuming and expensive. We handle local regulatory inspections and ensure compliance for each property, including fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, window screens, etc. Don't let your inexperience as a landlord cost you thousands of dollars-let professionals manage your rental investment!
We comply fully with the Fair Housing Act. This act makes it unlawful to refuse to sell, rent to, or negotiate with any person because of that person's inclusion in a protected class. We are bound by law and obligated by ethics to be an equal opportunity housing partner. Fisher Properties Group does not discriminate against race, color, age, sex, religion, familial status, or handicap, nor do we work with any property owners who discriminate against any of these protected classes.
For this reason, when we screen applicants, we provide only credit information, income information, background history, and previous rental reference. Please do not ask us to provide any other information, especially any information that would violate the Fair Housing Act.
Of course, you can choose to disallow students, smokers and pets but you cannot deny a service animal.
How do you screen applicants for my property?
Our rental application centers around four areas: credit, income, background and rental history. Background screening includes the national criminal data base, employment verification and verification of landlord references when applicable. Thorough screening of prospective renters reduces potential problems in the future.
Where do you advertise?
Over 90% of prospective renters are using the Internet to find housing. Every day, we work to strengthen our Internet presence. Our listings are advertised on multiple web sites. We include recent photos of each rental we advertise, and often take video tours and provide floor plans, room sizes, and neighborhood photos and information.
Typically, we charge half the first month's rent as a leasing fee (leasing fee includes advertising, tenant screening, lease preparation). Our monthly management fee is 10% of the gross rental income ($120 minimum) and is not charged within the month your property is rented or while we advertise it. In fact, there are no fees until we lease your property and move a renter in! We do have active duty military specials, so make sure to ask.
Yes, once a month we will email to you a monthly report of rent and other income received, as well as maintenance, repairs, and other expenses incurred. On or about the 10th of the month we affect an electronic transfer of funds into your account. Should there be a maintenance issue during the month, or any other issues requiring your attention, we will contact you.
Direct deposit is usually sent to your account by the 10th of each month. If your rent has not been collected, you will be notified by the 6th of the month.
Who does MAINTENANCE repairs on my property?
We use only qualified vendors with proper credentials! Most of our vendors have been doing business with us for years, and all of them stand behind their work. Rest assured that we are using well qualified vendors to complete routine maintenance and repairs in your home.
Can I get MULTIPLE BIDS for repairs?
Yes, we will secure multiple quotes when the scope of the work is large, including painting, roofing, flooring, air conditioning replacement, etc. In some cases, we are not able to call around for best prices as work is needed urgently in order to prevent further damage. In addition, night and weekend emergencies are usually assessed a surcharge, and there's nothing we can do about that, but we will only request such service in dire emergencies. Our staff carries an emergency cell phone which each renter has access to calling. We screen out non-emergency calls and call the correct technicians to diagnose the problem as fast as possible when emergencies arise.
What is your company’s policy on PETS?
Because each owner has individual preferences, we leave this up to you! You tell us what you will and won't accept, and we'll advertise and screen prospective renters accordingly. Typically, we do ask for a $250 nonrefundable pet fee to be paid at the time of move in. Of course, the renter will sign a pet addendum taking liability for the pet and promising to obtain approval before acquiring any pets. Due to insurance restrictions, we do not accept aggressive or potentially dangerous breeds of pets.
I need to SELL my property, can you help?
Yes! Century21 Fisher & Associates is a full service real estate company. We can research the market to find comparable properties that have sold within the last 6 months. We will also see what is currently listed near your home and determine why it hasn't sold. We also offer discounted listing commission rates for our current property owners, so keep that in mind!
Interested in BUYING another property?
We work daily with domestic and international investors and keep our eye on all new foreclosure listings hitting the market. With our knowledge of the rental market and current sales listings, we can help you find another investment property.
Fisher Properties Group
229 E. Davis Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33606
Phone: (813) 321-5677